Architecture of Grenada
The architecture of Grenada is severely limited as no true
buildings exist from the pre-Columbian times. Even the first settlers left little
behind as most early architecture was made from wood or other local resources that
have been lost to time. Today nearly every architectural piece of note is in the
capital of St. George's.
The earliest still standing architecture in St. George's is from the early 1700s
with the building of Fort George (1705). The city was also built at this time, but
many buildings from this time have been lost to fires. Many of the earliest buildings
in the city today date from the late 1700s, generally in the form of small houses.
The French also built the Catholic St. George's Cathedral
(1818), which is a city landmark today.
The British arrived later and continued to build
on the island, and again most of their focus was on the capital of St. George's.
Their most impressive still standing piece of architecture is St. George's Anglican
Church (1825) and is also a landmark.