• United States!

    United States: Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Go Now!

    United States
    Explore the vast openness and wildlife found roaming in the western United States, including Theodore Roosevelt National Park (pictured) in North Dakota. Begin Your Journey!

  • Trinidad & Tobago!

    Trinidad & Tobago: Beautiful Coastline. Go Now!

    Trinidad & Tobago
    These Caribbean islands mix Indian, African, and European cultures alongside beautiful beaches. Go Now!

  • Cuba!

    Cuba: Sandy beach. Go Now!

    Cuba
    Many people fear the unknowns of Cuba, but the history, culture, food, and impressive beaches lure many visitors every year. Explore Cuba!

  • Panama!

    Panama: Panama City skyline. Go Now!

    Panama
    Panama is best known for the Panama Canal, but the beaches draw tourists, as does Panama City (pictured), a modern capital quite different from most nearby cities. Explore Panama

  • Mexico!

    Mexico: Sunrise over the mountains in Puerto Vallarta. Go Now!

    Mexico
    Although many people just go for the beaches, Mexico offers impressive mountain vistas (pictured in Puerto Vallarta), great food, and historic ruins that compete with the best in the world. Begin Your Journey!

  • Barbados!

    Barbados: Pier on the beach. Go Now!

    Barbados
    This Caribbean island has hints of British culture, but is wholly Caribbean as well. Explore Barbados!

Ethnicity, Language, & Religion of Panama

Ethnicity

Nearly three quarters of Panama's population is ethnically "mestizo," which is a combination of European (mostly Spanish) and American Indian. The degree of American Indian versus European and the actual Indian and European ethnic groups varies greatly from person to person so the country is quite ethnically diverse. Another 15% of the people are a different combination of ethnicities, generally with some American Indian, including Caribbean groups and creole groups. The rest of the people are either wholly European or wholly American Indian.

Language

Spanish is the only official language in Panama, although nearly 15% of the people are native English speakers. In schools both Spanish and English are taught and most people are fluent in both languages. Spanish is a Romance language that is related to Latin as well as other Latin-based languages, such as Portuguese, French, Italian, and Romanian. Both Spanish and English are widely spoken and understood in Panama.

Religion

Panama is a very Roman Catholic country with about 85% of the population claiming this to be their religion. The other 15% is primarily Protestant.

Catholicism is a Christian religion that is one of the first Christian religions (founded after the death of Jesus in about 30-33 AD). Catholicism believes that there is a single God who created everything, a savior, the son of God, Jesus Christ who is the forgiver of sins, and there is the Holy Spirit, which makes up the last part of the Holy Trinity. Catholics follow the teachings of the Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments. Much of the faith is based on the life and teachings of Jesus, which is found in the gospels (in the New Testament).

Continue reading on Safari the Globe to Learn the Catholic Church's doctrines, liturgy, symbolism, traditions, & hierarchy

This page was last updated: May, 2014