Voyager Newsletter Travel Tips
Safari the Globe's e-newsletter is sent straight to your e-mail inbox once every
couple months. All you have to do is
subscribe to our mailing list. Learn more at our
Voyager Newsletter Page.
● Create a packing list. A great place to start is with another packing list, like
Safari the Globe's
Packing List (pdf), then adjust it to meet your needs.
● To help get over jet lag quicker, get on the time zone of your destination city
as soon as you wake up on the day of your travel, you should sleep and eat on your
destination time zone. Sometimes, skipping a plane meal can be the best route to
feeling better during your trip.
● In many places taxis don't have meters like they do in the United States and
many European countries. Before traveling in one of these taxis, be sure to agree
on the fare to your destination.
● Credit cards and debit cards usually offer the best exchange rate when paying
in a foreign currency, but if taking money out of an ATM machine a service fee may
be added and your credit card issuer may charge an international credit charge.
Despite these fees, if taking out large sums of money, ATM machines are still usually
the cheapest option. Before going abroad check with your credit card company to
find out international charge rates, learn to avoid cash advances, and to be sure
your cards work when you're abroad.
● Do you know how to drive a standard/manual transmission car (stick shift)? In
many countries automatic transmission cars are rare so if you decide to rent a car
abroad be sure to check if the car has standard or automatic transmission; better
yet, request your preference when booking.